October 2009 marked an important milestone in the history of computing. It was exactly 40 years since the first Multics computer system was used for information management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In this edition of Blast from the Past we talk to Fernando Corbato on the early days of Multics, why it was so influential, open source and software development practices, and how cloud computing is a modern incarnation of Multics’ time-sharing philosophy.
- Cisco security exec: ‘Connected devices are creating 277 times more data than people are’
- WannaCry could have been worse – and still could be – as exploit shapes “new normal”
- The week in security: Global ransomware makes many CSOs WannaCry
- A day in the life of a threat researcher
- Miele has a patch for its hackable dishwasher, but a technician needs to install it