Many Linux users are ticked off and anxious about Microsoft joining the Linux Foundation. They are missing the real significance of that move.
open source - News, Features, and Slideshows
open source in pictures
"In any given industry, within about three years something is going to be introduced that will force you to rethink what your business model is," says Evan Stubbs, SAS’ chief analytics officer for Australia and New Zealand. And what about SAS itself?
Open source’s march toward preeminence in business software continued over the past year, according to a survey released today by open source management provider Black Duck Software and venture capital firm North Bridge.
GitHub is an intriguing startup that's worth paying attention to. Here's why.
In late 2013, Maitland, NSW self-managed superannuation fund administrator, Heffron SMSF Solutions, suffered a server outage that saw its critical systems out of action for four days.
Support for open source software is 'unbundled' from the software itself. That actually makes it much easier to get the right level of support at the right price.
Businesses of all sizes embrace open source software and the benefits it can bring. Sometimes, though, choosing proprietary software makes better business sense. Here are seven scenarios when it pays to pay for your software.
Getting the right license for your open source project can mean the difference between success and failure for your software.
FreeOTFE may sound like a political bumper sticker, but it stands for "Free On The Fly Encryption." The "Free" part is self-explanatory; "On The Fly Encryption" refers to the encrypting/decrypting of data as it is written to or read from your hard disk.
With all the many compelling reasons for a company to switch to Linux on the desktop, it's no wonder that businesses large and small are increasingly relying on the free and open source operating system.
Today many IT executives choose open source over proprietary software for everything from cloud computing to facilitating teamwork among remote workers. Open source increases security and privacy, encourages an engaged community and offers the ability to "look under the hood" to diagnose and resolve issues quickly.
Microsoft's relationship with the open source movement has undergone an extraordinary transformation over the last few years, from a deep hostility to what can only be described as an embrace.
There's a reason the theme song at this year's Open Business Conference was 'Happy.'
In managing human resources, people architecture is gaining popularity, says IT workforce analyst David Foote. He explains what it is and why it's on the rise.
After more than six years of internal development of its branch of the cross-language framework that powers its internal services, Facebook has released that branch to open source and hopes to work with the Apache Thrift community to incorporate the work.
Whitepapers about open source
Today, software for every layer of the enterprise stack is available under a permissive open source license. This whitepaper discusses the benefits and limitations of open source platforms for your business •Understand why all open source platforms are not the same and what to look out for •Find out how to get the baseline and generic business benefits of any platform •Learn how to choose software that will reach a long-term successful deployment
- Everything You Need to Know About Cyber Threats But Were Too Afraid To Ask: Download Now
- 22 Experts Share How to Communicate Security Program Effectiveness to Upper Management : Download Now
- Network Professionals Survey with Computerworld Australia Enter this survey and you could WIN one (1) of two (2) Microsoft Surface Pro 4 128GB Tablet valued at AU$999 each. *Terms & Conditions Apply
- Translating Security Leadership into Board Value : Download Now
- Security Exhibition & Conference | Intelligent Strategies for Australia’s Security Industry 26-28 July 2017 | ICC Sydney, Darling Harbour | Find out more
- Advanced endpoint protection test report : Download Now
- Emerging Cyber Threat Summit | Cybersecurity strategy for business leaders in the digital age | 6-8 June | Sydney | Get the agenda
- Big Four targeted as NAB phishing scam hits Aussie inboxes
- Digitally driven Tassie Govt tables $67.5M IT upgrade plans
- WA’s move to cloud is a multi-million dollar opportunity for the channel
- TasmaNet and Thinxtra to make Tassie IoT ready
- Klugo takes Aussie camper trailer firm to the cloud through NetSuite
- Samsung hunts for new CMO following Newton's departure
- CMO's top 8 martech stories for this week - 25 May 2017
- Qantas CMO: What it's taking to evolve our customer experience
- How the CIA within NAB is working to unlock customer data
- Report reveals Aussie advertisers are not meeting next-gen customer expectations