An intrusion prevention system (IPS) includes all the features of an intrusion detection system but also has the ability to act upon malicious traffic. Since the IPS usually sits in line with network traffic it can shut down attacks, typically by blocking access from the attacker or blocking access to the target. In some cases, the IPS can talk to the firewall to block an attack.
- NSA warns enterprises over TLS traffic inspection risks: do it once, and do it well
- How a bank got hacked (a study in how not to secure your networks)
- As government reins in IoT security, recalcitrant mining industry is exposed
- The week in security: Poor security hygiene just not good enough, APRA warns
- New Zealand: over a third of cyber attacks come from state-sponsored hackers