The volatility of cryptocurrencies has become something of a joke. The fact its value bounces around like a kangaroo in a clown car has given rise to countless memes about the emotional toll of being an investor.
Bitcoin - News, Features, and Slideshows
Bitcoin in pictures
IOT Group is seeking to establish a hub for crypto-currency miners that will plug directly into a Hunter Valley power station if it is recommissioned.
Twitter Inc will start banning cryptocurrency advertising from Tuesday, joining Facebook and Google in a clampdown that seeks to avoid giving publicity to potential fraud or large investor losses.
Britain announced a task force on Thursday to exploit the technology underpinning cryptoassets, such as bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, as part of new plans to help fintech companies find more customers.
Financial policymakers from the world's top 20 economies agreed to keep a watchful eye on cryptocurrencies on Tuesday and opened the door to regulating the booming industry at a later stage.
Blockchain, with its encrypted and immutable record, will eventually be used create universal digital identities, filled with information that only we will control and that will link back to the issuing banks, governments or even employers.
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency miners have created a dearth of mid-range and high-end GPU cards that are selling for twice as much as suggested retail. The reason: miners are setting up server farms with the cards.
Bitcoin exploded on to the world’s stage in 2012 as a currency backed by everyone and controlled by no one. But what exactly makes it work from a technology standpoint?
Oliver Bussmann, CIO of UBS, says the blockchain technology underlying Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies can pare transaction processing time from days to minutes. Under his leadership, UBS is building innovation centers where engineers work with startups to pinpoint viable mainstream blockchain solutions.
Bitcoin is on the rise, but not in the way you might think.
- DWS acquires Canberra-based Projects Assured in $43M deal
- Enterprise exit as CSG flags further $10M decrease in expected earnings
- Partners ready as public cloud services market hits $117B
- Synnex strengthens finance options through automation
- Bulletproof’s big exit and the double-edged sword of going public
- IBM ends China's 5-year reign atop supercomputer rankings
- How BP drives automation at scale across supply and trading business
- Oracle is changing how it reports cloud revenues — what's it hiding?
- Why mobile satellite is flying high
- US Supreme Court rules warrant required for mobile phone location data