- Free, filtered alternative DNS leverages threat-intelligence data to raise security baseline
- ABC leaks thousands of user passwords in AWS S3 error
- Industrial IoT explosion is making Australian CSOs “anxious” as IoT-security investments lag world
- Google Home and Amazon Echo are patched, but how many more IoT devices are vulnerable?
- Is fake news dangerous? Security pros say yes
- 1 March 2012 11:22
Australia’s Cyber War Escalates in 2012 with Tripling of Data Attacks
According to Miller the rise in cybercrime levels and the intended outcome of these attacks in 2012 indicates a trend towards hackers relying on the more familiar penetration methods to achieve a goal of taking an organisation permanently offline.
“We are not identifying extremely complex data attacks that only an elite hacker could attempt. Rather hackers are focusing on the more common SQL Injection attack methods, with a slight move towards DDoS extortion attempts and a recent shift to 0day exploits,” Miller outlined.
“However the success rate for hackers is increasing with the growth of a global hacking community. At times we are seeing the tools necessary for a hack being downloaded by tens of thousands of end users in a very short period of time,” he said.
Miller also disputed the myth that smaller hacks or defacements were less disruptive to day-to-day business operations and Information Technology budgets. “The same actions and risk management procedures must be undertaken for any successful penetration into a corporate network, often resulting in a significant budget impact to IT departments and risk management procedures and solutions. Based on our experience with clients already this year, it is imperative that elements of information security are now moved into the necessary rather than optional category. This particularly applies to any Web Application Firewall device,” he concluded.
Pure Hacking is currently extending its services to meet the needs of its client base to better protect and manage information security events and intends on rolling out a range of new offerings over the coming months.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- What Aussie brands are doing to build an emotional connection with customers
- How LG Electronics used influencers to win over millennials
- Kingsmill resigns as Virgin Australia CMO as marketing becomes group-level remit
- Getting better ROI and boost customer engagement with your mobile app
- Trio of Aussie industry associations unite to tackle digital advertising fraud and transparency