- Christmas rush brings great deals to online shoppers – and new risks for their employers
- Dell, Lenovo, HP will patch hundreds of devices affected by Intel's buggy embedded CPU
- As unencrypted data becomes “negligence”, business leaders are taking encryption strategy away from IT
- Uber, ABC cloud data breaches put Australian companies on notice about cloud security
- Fake Symantec blog spreads macOS malware
For all the rhetoric, an element of the story remains untold24 Jan / Written by Peter Nevin
Profitability in the tourism sector has always been incredibly volatile, subject to the whims of wild weather and fickle fashion. It will be interesting to see whether managers in the wider business community choose to crank up their travel budgets again as they have done in the past, or whether the convenience and ease of telecommuting and electronic conferencing will finally start to bite into business travel.12 Jan / Written by Rory Gregg
When you consider that eBay do not actually “sell” anything or handle any retail inventory, their decision to follow consumers into shopping centres is interesting. Perhaps online retail battles will soon also be fought in shopping centres and, if so, online retailing is also heading into dangerous waters.29 Nov / Written by Rory Gregg
At an operational level, complex policies and procedures can quickly turn HR management into a quagmire. Although in some situations, all of that red tape can truly be a good thing.17 Nov / Written by Rory Gregg
Executive leadership is often portrayed as high pressure. Boards justify spectacular executive packages by citing the uncertainty of the top job, and the notion that people who actively seek leadership positions need to be given an enormous incentive to create shareholder value. The reality is often rather different.7 Nov / Written by Rory Gregg
Australian CEOs typically hang on to the job for 8 years before retiring with a golden parachute. The point at which you find a leader within their tenure has a clear influence on strategic business planning and investment decisions. It should be little surprise that when a leader has one eye on the door, they might simply view risks and rewards very differently to those around them.28 Oct / Written by Rory Gregg
Australian businesses have been achieving consistent improvements due to labour productivity – but gains from innovation have been weak to non-existent in recent years.11 Oct / Written by Rory Gregg
The best outcomes occur when leaders mobilise employee energy and commitment, and articulate a clear set of understandable goals. Instead of micromanaging, flexibility and adaption should be encouraged throughout the organisation. Employees need to be given leeway to solve problems themselves, and the confidence to act.21 Sep / Written by Rory Gregg
To be a thought leader, you need thoughts. And leadership.7 Sep / Written by Martha Raupp
When it comes to succession planning at key executive levels, timing and communication can be quite critical. Sudden departures can be very disruptive and damaging. This is precisely the time when you need to pull plan B out of your bottom draw, and not the time to go through a long drawn out executive search process.1 Sep / Written by Rory Gregg
Rory is a Partner at Grant Thornton, leading their Business Transformation consulting practice in Sydney. His specialties are business strategy, performance improvement, and transformational change. Follow him on Twitter @rory_gregg
A CIOs job is never done. A day in the life of a chief information officer
Information management has changed significantly over the last decade - both internally and externally. Think cloud, SaaS, PaaA, IaaS, open source, data integration, development ... the choice is open.
CIOs stepping out of their comfort zones to become business leaders who help drive the business strategy.
CIO editor, Georgina Swan, talks ICT, business and what makes IT leaders tick.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how to create an analytics environment that is governed, scalable and self-serve.
- Free Whitepaper! The 5 criteria to help you select the right analytics platform for your organization.
- Free Whitepaper! Learn how IT is evolving from producer to enabler, and fostering collaboration around analytics.
- Tesla’s very big battery in South Australia is ready for testing
- Optus, Cisco pump millions into cyber security research centre
- Seniors to trial driverless shuttles at IRT Group aged care communities
- ANZ deploys Azure Stack to keep processing in-house
- SAP investigating its sales practices in Gulf region
- How CRM and marketing automation have delivered $5m in revenue to this ASX-listed company
- CMO's top 8 martech stories for the week - 23 November 2017
- MLA confirms new marketer to replace Howie
- Report: Australian content marketers heavily focused on building audiences
- New code of practice launched to protect consumer data