Political and social events highlight the immense benefits of technology, but also reveal technology's dark side. Consider Arab Spring. The uprisings demonstrated, on the one hand, how innovations such as social media can be used to evade and challenge repressive regimes and promote democracy, but on the other hand, the ability of the same regimes to capitalize on improved surveillance technology to counter those threats and suppress their citizens.
- Business-like cybercriminals are outsourcing malware R&D – and giving new hope to CSOs
- Three responsible for Mirai botnet attacks plead guilty
- Changing fraud patterns are forcing fintech to temper automation with security
- Connected ‘things’ to fuel the local cyber insurance market
- Microsoft fixes 33 bugs in December patch, mostly for IE and Edge