Westpac customers now have the option of sending and receiving financial information with Australia Post's digital mailbox, MyPost, following a new agreement between both companies.
Westpac is the first major bank to partner with Australia Post for its digital mailbox. Australia Post declined to confirm if it was looking to strike similar arrangements with other banks.
The free service, which launched in October 2012, allows customers to receive statements and bills, and make online payments on any internet-enabled device. Customers can also track, schedule or redirect their deliveries.
Other companies that have signed up to the digital service include Telstra, AMP, David Jones, and Velocity Frequent Flyer, along with a number of government-owned services including Brisbane City Council, Sydney Water and MyGov.
Westpac MD and CEO, Brian Hartzer, said advances in technology continue to drive fundamental change in how many of the bank's customers want to manage their finances.
“The MyPost Digital Mailbox gives customers more flexibility in how they want to receive information from Westpac, while also providing additional functionality," he said.
Australia Post MD and CEO Ahmed Fahour has described the online portal as “effectively your letterbox, your filing cabinet and your bank account but seamlessly combined in a secure online environment."
The Digital Mailbox continues to gain momentum, with more than 45 providers now live, while customer registrations are up 86 per cent in the past eight months, he said.
This continued growth represents a victory for Australia Post after its main competitor, Digital Post Australia (DPA) closed in June last year after only one year in operation due to a lack of demand from both consumers and businesses.
In 2012, Australia Post was embroiled in a lawsuit with DPA, alleging that DPA's name was too similar to its own, but the court found the suit was without merit.
- Australia Post links up with myGov for digital mail delivery
- Fujitsu shuttles NSW government email to the cloud
- Risk management lagging in digital world
- Teachers Mutual Bank appoints CIO to executive team
- Soft skills now an essential focus of IT recruitment
- Australia Post unveils Apple Watch app
- Westpac, St.George launch Apple Watch apps
- What’s all the fuss about messaging apps?
- The race for messaging supremacy
- Google tests $2 custom Gmail addresses
- Simon Page new JB Hi-Fi CIO
- 9 tips for better time management
Join the CIO Australia group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.