IT pros at Schaumburg, Ill.-based Cancer Treatment Centers of America don't have to wonder about their next career move. Employees, known as stakeholders within the organization, work with their managers to plot step-by-step plans for moving into their next two positions.
IT staffers Caroline Michiels, Jeff Bilbrey, Ric Troll, Chris Downs and Amy Burow with CIO Chad Eckes (right). Credit: Tom Gerczynski.
"CTCA is interested in helping employees get to that next level," says IT site liaison Amy Burow. "If you show initiative and are open about wanting to take on more responsibility, they are going to give you the tools you need to do that."
To that end, CTCA offers extensive training opportunities and 100% tuition reimbursement -- a perk that many IT staffers use as they pursue bachelor's or master's degrees. Says CIO Chad Eckes, "We are always willing to pay for any coursework that has to do with an individual's role and responsibilities within IT."
IT professionals are drawn to CTCA by the cutting-edge technology in use at the organization, which runs cancer treatment hospitals across the U.S. One project involves creating an interface for the transmission of data between infusion pumps and CTCA's electronic health record system.
But employees never lose sight of the main reason for working at CTCA: to develop ways to help cancer patients. "The technology piece is exciting," says Burow. "But really the technology is driven by our mission."
Rebecca Linke is an associate online editor at Computerworld who writes about social media and personal technology, among other topics.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
- View the full 2013 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: Quicken Loans
- Slideshow: A tour of Quicken Loans
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 27,000 IT workers have their say
- Search and sort 20 years of Best Places honorees
- Opinion: When staffers share successes, everyone wins
- Opinion: How to pluck top talent from a sea of candidates
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Read more about it careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
Join the CIO Australia group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.