Internode CIO, Frank Falco, has spent much of the last year educating organisations on IPv6, partly through Internode’s public IPv6 trials, about potential impacts on internal systems and future buying decisions.
Here are his five steps for making the move:
1. Gain access to an IPv6 service
2. Assign a staff member to become the dedicated IPv6 expert
3. Start reviewing the network for potential issues with devices such as firewalls, load balancers, routers, VPNs, mobile access
4. Don’t forget security. The way security works in an IPv6 world is different to an IPv4 world.
5. Accept that you will run in ‘dual stack’ mode (IPv4 and IPv6 devices running simultaneously) for some time, but it won’t be for ever.
Read more about IPv6 in Falco's interview with CIO.