Technology vendors and data center suppliers were also invited to participate in Computerworld's search for the Top Green-IT Organizations. These companies completed the same survey as the end-user organizations and were judged on the same criteria -- most notably, on their IT departments' efforts to reduce energy consumption in their IT equipment, and to use technology to conserve energy and lower carbon emissions. Here are the top 12, in ranked order:
1. Fujitsu America Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif.
2. Dell Inc., Round Rock, Texas
3. NetApp Inc., Sunnyvale, Calif.
4. Verizon Wireless, Basking Ridge, N.J.
5. Intel Corp., Santa Clara, Calif.
6. Hewlett-Packard Co., Palo Alto, Calif.
7. Qualcomm Inc., San Diego
8. Accenture PLC, New York
9. Terremark Worldwide Inc., Miami
10. Microsoft Corp., Redmond, Wash.
11. Symantec Corp., Mountain View, Calif.
12. Affordable Internet Services Online Inc. (AISO), Romoland, Calif.
Join the CIO Australia group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.