Media releases are provided as is by companies and have not been edited or checked for accuracy. Any queries should be directed to the company itself.

Annual VoIP survey reveals mass migration

  • 15 March, 2006 12:31

<p>According to a recent global survey conducted by Integrated Research (ASX: IRI), 78 per cent of large companies are deploying IP telephony, and the mass conversion isn’t always due to PABX systems coming to their end-of-life. The main drivers of this trend are IP applications and enhanced communication capabilities such as IP-based video conferencing.</p>
<p>Kailem Anderson, product manager, IP telephony products for Integrated Research said, “The results of the 2004 survey showed the key factors driving IP telephony adoption was the reduction of operating costs and the perception that IP telephony had come of age due to enhanced features such as video conferencing – I think those comments are justified by the 2005 Survey results, and I believe they continue to be the key factors.”</p>
<p>IP-based video conferencing was of immediate interest for 70 per cent of those surveyed and shows a clear willingness to exploit the enhanced capabilities that IP telephony provides over traditional telephony.</p>
<p>A total of 1,232 executives participated in the online study in late 2005 – a year on from Integrated Research’s similar study on this topic that provided a clear comparison with which to measure trends. The U.S. accounted for 34 per cent of overall respondents, while Europe, Australia/Oceania and Asia, Africa, and the Middle East accounted for the remaining 66 per cent.</p>
<p>Seventy-eight per cent of those surveyed were at various stages of voice over IP (VoIP) deployment or adoption. Only 6 per cent were unsure of their plans to adopt the technology.</p>
<p>One per cent of overall deployments were considered to have failed. Of these, over half failed during testing or pilot phase, with the remainder failing shortly after going ‘live’.</p>
<p>“This figure adds weight to the importance of pre-deployment assessment and the use of specific management tools”, said Anderson. “The survey results show respondents now also understand that system performance monitoring of applications and networks is the key criteria for successful IP telephony deployment. This is despite the still popular but misleading notion that existing data management tools are adequate for the purpose.”</p>
<p>Cisco’s dominance of the market increased from 43 per cent in 2004 to 62 per cent in 2005. This reconfirms Cisco’s position as the leading provider of VoIP infrastructure technology.</p>
<p>The survey also shows more organisations now choosing to self deploy by up-skilling staff in the new technology rather than rely on systems integrators.</p>
<p>Anderson concludes, “The maturation of the IP telephony enterprise market is speeding up exponentially – this can be attributed to the fact that the hardware, application, and management tools are now so advanced that it is easier for organisations to slipstream in their wake.”</p>
<p>- End -</p>
<p>About PROGNOSIS for IP Telephony</p>
<p>PROGNOSIS for IP Telephony is a comprehensive suite of IP telephony lifecycle management software products spanning Voice over IP (VoIP) network-readiness assessment, pre-deployment assurance testing, and ongoing performance management for Cisco IP Communications environments.</p>
<p>PROGNOSIS has been involved in IP telephony from the start, and now manages more than 150 of the world’s largest IP telephony implementations for customers such as CarrAmerica, Internetwork Experts, Abercrombie and Fitch, Infostream, Warner Pacific, NASDAQ, Global Data Systems, and NCR.</p>
<p>About Integrated Research Ltd</p>
<p>Integrated Research – the people behind PROGNOSIS - is a publicly listed company with a 17-year heritage of providing precise performance monitoring solutions for business-critical computing and IP telephony environments.</p>
<p>The company services customers in more than 50 countries through direct sales offices in the USA, Europe, and Australia, and via a global channel-driven distribution network.</p>
<p>Customers include the world’s largest bank, telecommunications company, stock exchange, computer hardware manufacturer and Internet service provider.</p>
<p>Media contact:
Amanda Brown
Kinetics Pty Ltd
02 9212 3848</p>

Most Popular