October 2009 marked an important milestone in the history of computing. It was exactly 40 years since the first Multics computer system was used for information management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In this edition of Blast from the Past we talk to Fernando Corbato on the early days of Multics, why it was so influential, open source and software development practices, and how cloud computing is a modern incarnation of Multics’ time-sharing philosophy.
- Medical device security ignites an ethics firestorm
- Got big data? Check out these 100 best practices for keeping it secure
- 5 security practices hackers say make their lives harder
- Mozilla launches free website security scanning service
- NASA CIO allows HPE contract to expire, refuses to sign-off on authority to operate