October 2009 marked an important milestone in the history of computing. It was exactly 40 years since the first Multics computer system was used for information management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In this edition of Blast from the Past we talk to Fernando Corbato on the early days of Multics, why it was so influential, open source and software development practices, and how cloud computing is a modern incarnation of Multics’ time-sharing philosophy.
- 9 biggest information security threats through 2019
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- Malware infection rate of smartphones is soaring – Android devices often the target
- Study finds devices are not wiped properly
- The week in security: Apple extortion attempt; can Blockchain protect medical devices?