Telstra's win in the metadata case identifies a potential hole in the Privacy Act.
privacy - News, Features, and Slideshows
privacy in pictures
Facebook must stop collecting information about WhatsApp users in Germany, a local privacy watchdog has ordered.
Tech luminaries Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, and Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, have joined a new campaign pushing for a pardon of National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.
Before you throw away that old hard drive, make sure you purge the memory clean. A new study has found that most users are accidentally giving up photos, social security numbers and financial data, by failing to properly delete the files on their recycled hard drives.
With privacy and secrecy functions a given in competing messaging systems, BlackBerry is dropping the subscription fee for users of the 'retract' and 'timer' functions of its cross-platform BBM messaging app.
A security researcher today provided a way for users to see whether their e-mail addresses and passwords were among the 1.3 million compromised in a hack of Gawker Media's sites.
The impact of the United Kingdom voting to withdraw from the European Union could have far-reaching implications for international companies who experts say may need to rethink their data management policies as the move could create a network of disparate data sovereignty laws across Europe.
"We at Apple reject the idea that our customers should have to make tradeoffs between privacy and security," said Apple CEO Tim Cook earlier this month during an Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) event where he was honored for corporate leadership. "We can and we must provide both in equal measure."
The Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, ranked as the most authoritative science and technology think tank in the U.S. (second in the world behind Max Planck Institutes of Germany), has just released its latest report on the impact of the existence and disclosure of the broad NSA national and international spying programs.
A funny thing is happening in the wake of the <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2490179/security0/security0-the-snowden-leaks-a-timeline.html">Edward Snowden NSA revelations</a>, the infamous <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2601905/apple-icloud-take-reputation-hits-after-photo-scandal.html">iCloud hack of celebrity nude photos</a>, and the hit parade of customer data breaches at <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2490637/security0/target-finally-gets-its-first-ciso.html">Target</a>, <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2844491/home-depot-attackers-broke-in-using-a-vendors-stolen-credentials.html">Home Depot</a> and the <a href="http://www.computerworld.com/article/2845621/government/us-postal-service-suffers-breach-of-employee-customer-data.html">U.S. Postal Service</a>. If it's not the government looking at your data, it's bored, lonely teenagers from the Internet or credit card fraudsters.
Plans by smart thermostat maker Nest Labs to share some customer data with corporate parent Google means the search engine giant will be fending off privacy concerns as it expands into home automation.
Whitepapers about privacy
One-to-one computing programs are a great way to make sure all students are able to enjoy benefits of digital learning content. This whitepaper talks about the critical technology issues associated with these programs and how they can be resolved.
- 6 cities | 20 exhibitors | International & local keynotes | Hear from Mark Loveless 'Simple Nomad' & Jeff Lanza Former FBI - Save your seat at CSO Perspectives Roadshow
- WIN a HTC Vive Kit valued at $1399, take this 3 minute survey for your chance to WIN!
- Participate in this market research and go into the draw to win a Lego Death Star, (valued at $999).
- Answer 5 quick questions and you could win a Lego Mindstorm EV3, (valued at $499).
- nbn takes the Sunshine Coast Regional Council to court
- Turnbull Government launches Joint Cyber Security Centre
- HPE’s global first quarter net revenue dips $US1.3B year on year
- Netcomm Wireless fills vacant CEO spot to steer company growth
- NEXTDC posts record half year financials as multi-million dollar investment kicks off
- Google cloud debuts Intel’s latest Skylake processors
- UN steps in to end marketing war over what 5G means
- Linux Foundation smushes two smaller projects together to form Open Networking Automation Platform
- Container-friendly Alpine Linux may get Java port
- NPM or Yarn? Node.js devs pick their package manager
- IAB aims for simplicity in digital advertising with new councils and approach
- Freeview appoints new head of marketing
- CMO's top 8 martech stories for the week - 23 February 2017
- Qantas reports solid financials; highlights customer data and digital as competitive advantage
- How Nude by Nature is using data to prove digital's worth