- How to Switch From iPhone 5S to BlackBerry Z30 (and Why)
- 10 Tips for Dealing with a Bully Boss
- How to define the scope of a project
- 7 reasons you shouldn't buy the Galaxy Gear smartwatch - and 2 you should
green IT in pictures
SAP has announced it will power all of its data centres around the world with 100 per cent renewable energy starting 2014, following a report on its carbon footprint that showed an increase in emissions.
Data centers powered by fuel cells, not the public power grid, could cut both capital and operational costs, improve reliability, pollute less and take up less space, according to Microsoft researchers.
If Australian companies were to virtualize their severs and physical infrastructure, $6 billion in costs could be saved from now to 2020, according to a new whitepaper by research firm IDC.
The Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI) has released a study that found that enterprises switching from on-premise delivery to services from cloud vendors could result in a 95 per cent cut in greenhouse gas emissions for email handling, CRM and groupware applications.
Foxtel has thrown its weight behind this year’s International Green IT Awareness Week with a video crowdsourcing competition to promote environmentally-friendly technology behaviour.
Whatever else you may do with your PC, it's likely that you print out at very least the odd letter, document or photograph. Papers and inks can be expensive, so printing wisely isn't just a matter of choosing the right printer for the job; you also need to ensure it's properly set up.
As if data quality and stockouts weren’t enough of a day-today worry for CIOs, added pressure to serve demanding online customers and keep up with changing legislation are creating new challenges. With several retail giants lumbering online and the looming introduction of the government’s new carbon tax, CIOs need to be working with procurement, financial and other business leaders to ensure supply-chain systems are up to today’s new challenges.
Smart meters have a way to go. The recent 2010 Australian Smart Grid Study, a survey of 13 Australian utilities by sector consultancy Logica, showed an average self-reported maturity rating of just 2.14 on a scale of 1 to 5, and communications networks to support them rated 2.80.
Like any entrepreneur, Andrew Dyer is excited about the possibilities for his clean-energy venture, BrightSource Energy. The company, of which he is a director, is this year partnering with energy giant Chevron to cover 1000 acres of the US desert with 4000 mirrors that reflect sunlight onto three boilers mounted atop each of three 100 metre towers.
Sydney-based Verb IT is the first company in the Asia Pacific region to provision an HP Performance Optimised Datacentre (POD) next-generation data centre in a shipping container. The new Verb DC site where the POD is located is a standard industrial warehouse in Wyong on the NSW Central Coast (one hour north of Sydney). Verb DC is schedueld to go live in September after a 14-week project, including the POD delivery time. In what is being painted as a big win for the Central Coast IT industry, the new POD will provide computing services to local businesses and the world.
Reducing power usage and cutting carbon emissions is probably the right thing to do for the future of the planet. But keep this is mind: Green is a powerful marketing term right now and cost-savings promises are part of the marketing pitch. Like all marketing promises, results vary. One example: The amount of money a typical consumer can save by using or powering down energy-efficient computers, printers and the like is often small--in the case of an up-to-date laptop, the energy savings add up to perhaps just $10 a year.
Sign up now »
While many who invest in Data Centre Infrastructure Management (DCIM) software benefit greatly, some do not. Research has revealed a number of pitfalls that end users should avoid when evaluating ...
Learn how every business can improve efficiency, compete better, and deliver compelling user experiences with flash. You'll also ...
"I just switched from an iPhone to a BB Z30 and couldn't ..."
How to Switch From iPhone 5S to BlackBerry Z30 (and Why)
"thanks for your valuable posting, it was very informative i am working ..."
CIOs to Become In-House Brokers -- and That's a Good Thing
"You're right, it's been fixed. Thanks."
The future of computing
"Thanks. To add, Datameer's Analytics tool is named "DAS" and is available ..."
10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
""US-based manufacturer, D-Wave Systems"?!!. Last time I looked, it was Canadian-based!. Can't ..."
The future of computing
- 33 great tips and tricks for iOS 7
- Heartbleed: Security experts reality-check the 3 most hysterical fears
- 19 year-old arrested for attack on Canadian tax agency
- Open source trounces proprietary software for code defects, Coverity analysis finds
- 'Snowden effect' has changed cloud data security assumption, survey claims
- Google Glass to get a workout from Dutch firefighters
- Nokia doesn't want you to get shocked, suspends tablet sales because of faulty charger
- Facebook users targeted by iBanking Android trojan app
- Samsung and Amazon customize Kindle app, offer free e-books
- Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update migration deadline for business
- In pictures: Customer 360 Symposium hits the Hunter Valley
- Why CMOs must embrace the seven principles of agile marketing
- Google opens the floodgates for new 'social' ads
- Telefónica starts exchange for targeted mobile ads
- Crowdsource guide ranks marketing automation platforms by user recommendations and company size