cybersecurity - News, Features, and Slideshows
Setting corporate cyber-security policy and taking actions around it must be a top concern for the board of directors at any company, not just the information-technology division, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) indicated as a high-level official there backed a private-sector effort to raise awareness at the board level.
While there's a notion that a dearth of cybersecurity professionals the shortage is most acute at the "high end" where $250,000 salaries are not uncommon for those who combine technical and managerial skills.
Former National Security Advisor Tom Donilon says that persistent cyber intrusions into corporate networks emanating from China are sapping economic relations with the United States.
Cybersecurity insurance transfers some of the financial risk of a security breach to the insurer. But it doesn't do a good job of covering the reputation damage and business downturn that can be triggered by a security breach.
The evolving nature of cyberattacks demands a more dynamic response, according to government CIOs making an effort to implement real-time, continuous monitoring and reporting for security issues.
Leaders of the tech sector laud the Obama administration's rollout of voluntary cybersecurity guidelines, but broader private-sector adoption could remain a challenge.
From the NSA surveillance revelations to the troubled government healthcare website to a variety of issues that didn't make the mainstream news, here are the top tech policy stories that played out in 2013.
The moment is a profound one.
- Retired US airport body scanners fail to spot guns, knives
- The UPS Store says malware found on systems of 51 stores
- Plug-and-play Android security layer outlined by NC State researchers
- Moving toward smart and secure continuous software delivery
- Spam industry reinvented as messages containing malicious links surge
- FireEye highlights virtualisation and security opportunities in Sydney (+15 photos)
- Vaya undercuts major telcos with launch of NBN plans
- Meru Networks, Wavelink and Compulec deploy wireless solution at The Glennie School
- AWS Cloud boosts Bulletproof revenues
- WESTCON IMAGINE 2014: Build a private Cloud but don’t forget the software, says EMC
- Expedia MD: How we're rallying around the customer
- NRMA launches new content portal for over 50s
- Australians lead the world for programmatic video advertising growth
- Growth hacking and bridging the marketing/product gap: The Hipages story
- CMO Council State of Marketing shows CMO confident in c-level role, revenue targets