cybersecurity - News, Features, and Slideshows
David Gee relives the day he became the victim of a spear phishing attack.
If you are good at research by using Google searches, does that make you a malicious cyber actor? Of course not, but DHS, FBI and NCTC (National Counterterrorism Center) have issued a bulletin warning about malicious "Google dorking" cyber actors. If using advanced search techniques on Google or Bing is considered suspicious, what does that make Shodan users who specifically target SCADA, ICS, VoIP, routers, switches, webcams and printers to name but a few?
Setting corporate cyber-security policy and taking actions around it must be a top concern for the board of directors at any company, not just the information-technology division, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) indicated as a high-level official there backed a private-sector effort to raise awareness at the board level.
While there's a notion that a dearth of cybersecurity professionals the shortage is most acute at the "high end" where $250,000 salaries are not uncommon for those who combine technical and managerial skills.
Former National Security Advisor Tom Donilon says that persistent cyber intrusions into corporate networks emanating from China are sapping economic relations with the United States.
Leaders of the tech sector laud the Obama administration's rollout of voluntary cybersecurity guidelines, but broader private-sector adoption could remain a challenge.
From the NSA surveillance revelations to the troubled government healthcare website to a variety of issues that didn't make the mainstream news, here are the top tech policy stories that played out in 2013.
The moment is a profound one.
- Adobe begins encrypting user data collected from Digital Editions app
- FIPS 140-2 stamp a boon for customers, a “challenge” to cloud-security industry
- Devs on AWS can now add Salesforce sign-in to their apps
- Is this Unix's Code Red Moment?
- Facebook and Yahoo prevent use of recycled email addresses to hijack accounts
- Catch of the Day retailer hooks fresh customer insight with NPS
- Tourism Australia's Nick Baker wins AMI Marketer of the Year
- Content marketing can't be measured on the last-click: Outbrain CEO
- Latest crowdsourced guide rates top A/B testing vendors for marketers
- IAB: Digital video advertising steals dollars from TV