Engineering teams from Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter have begun work on WebScaleSQL, an open source project designed to address the challenges of running MySQL at Web scale.
Applications | Data Management - News, Features, and Slideshows
Data brokers operate in the shadows of the Internet. Most consumers are unaware or unsure how to put restrictions of their activity. In fact, one U.S. senator called these companies and their practices 'the dark underside of American life.'
The promise of big data in healthcare--increased efficiencies, better outcomes, more personalized care--is undeniable. How the industry reaches the promise land will happen in many stages, but hospitals and insurers aren't wasting any time getting started.
Strip away preconceptions about why technology doesn't or shouldn't work and people are likely to embrace the change that tech brings. That's what electronic health record and practice management software vendor athenahealth learned when it helped a hospital in Haiti implement a cloud-based EHR system.
When it comes to backup and recovery, IT is struggling to meet business demand within most enterprises--and the problem stands to get only worse. EMC believes the answer is a more open and agile protection storage architecture.
Most analytics tools put data in an historical context. That's all well and good, but if what if you want to use past data to gauge future performance? That narrows your analytics options. These six tools will help you make practical use of your data in order to make business decisions.
In-memory analytics, like virtualization and the cloud, is an old idea that's been given new life. In this case, the combination of big data, inexpensive commodity storage and parallel processing make it possible to analyze terabytes of data without slowing systems to a crawl.
The leading minds in sports convened in Boston last week at the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference to share ideas about how big data will be a game-changer for fans, players, coaches, officials and front-office personnel.
Informatica is aiming to ease the pain of data integration with a new platform designed to allow businesses to rapidly prototype and validate before sending projects to development.
Feeling the pressure to become more data-driven, marketers agree that big data analytics will be an integral part of their organizations going forward. But a lack of data analytics skills and antiquated business processes are hampering their efforts.
Data management is inherently tricky, but when it involves robots in space-communicating via a low-bandwidth intermittent link#8212;it's trickier. NASA is leveraging Data Distribution Service for Real-Time Systems to help it solve that problem as part of its Human Exploration Telerobotics project.
Trees probably aren't the first thing you think of when someone mentions New York City, but the city has a lot of them. Pruning and maintaining them is a public safety issue, and determining how to prioritize that maintenance is no easy feat. With the help of a nonprofit organization called DataKind, the city's Parks department is leveraging big data analytics for the job.
- The Future is Encrypted. Manage It.
- See Your Traffic for What It Really Is
- The Future is Encrypted. What's your defense?
- Harnessing the Power of Metadata for Security: FIND OUT MORE
- How to Use Metadata to Make Data-Driven Decisions - Download NOW!
- AISA 2016 | Hear from Bruce Schneier, David Lacey, Rik Ferguson and many more | 18-20th October Register Today
- Check your Future Risk
- QPC wins Interactive Intelligence managed services contract with Toowoomba council
- Which vendors are winning the fight for Internet of Things supremacy?
- ABS points finger at IBM over Census outage
- Telstra augments field tech team to improve installation times
- Optus Business partners with Palo Alto Networks in cyber-security play
- How this university team is improving email marketing on a shoestring budget
- How an emerging radiation technology could help brands identify consumers in future
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- IAB appoints News Digital Networks MD as chair
- IGA marketing leader: Purpose and personalisation are critical to competitive success