- Australia to auction seized Bitcoins
- Flaw in popular WordPress plug-in Jetpack puts over a million websites at risk
- Iran orders messaging apps to store data of local users in the country
- Lockstep secures grant from US Homeland Security for digital identity solution
- Authentication authority. Access security authority. Identity intelligence authority
- 9 December 2010 19:10
Safe Sharps Disposal Service Needed in Australia
Through the National Needle and Syringe Program the Australia Government hands out over 30,000,000 syringes annually, with no strict regulation of where they end up afterwards . Australians self-inject at home to treat diabetes, allergies, HIV, rheumatoid arthritis, MS and other medical conditions. This creates millions of syringes each year that are discarded in non-healthcare settings. Ken Blaikie of Global Healthcare Solutions believes that all syringes need to be disposed of properly to avoid needlestick hazards from disease-causing pathogens carried on used needles and syringes that could cause exposure to HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and syphilis, among other diseases. “In Australia syringes go into the wheelie bin whereas in the United States for example, California specifically prohibits the disposal of home-generated sharps into the solid waste, recycling, green waste or business waste streams. This is achieved through a home collection service supported by the Government” Mr Blaikie said. Mr Blaikie said he is strong supporter of the National Needle and Syringe Program as research indicates that the program has prevented over 25,000 cases of HIV and 21,000 cases of hepatitis C. However, Mr Blaikie would like to see the Australian Government take end to end responsibility. “No one wants to hear about kids knocking over a wheelie bin and accidently stepping on a needle. We also want to protect those in the waste disposal industry from this daily hazard” Mr Blaikie said. At present the best way to dispose of syringes and other sharps is with a dedicated Sharps Container. Brisbane based Global Healthcare Solutions designed and manufacture these low cost, innovative, personal sharps container. Visit www.globalhealthcares.com to find out more. --- END ---
________________________________________ MEDIA OPPORTUNITIES To arrange a media interview or photographic opportunity, please contact Global Healthcare Solutions Public Relations Consultant Rachael Williams on mobile phone 0410 296 860 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time. High res images of the company directors are also available upon request.
- Help us better understand the trends and major practices related to technology use in STEM education. Take this two minute survey NOW.
- NEW Gigamon Transform Security Zone - Find out more now!
- F5 Security Hub NEW Look - Try us out today!
- APJ businesses think they will be breached: Here's why: Read the article NOW
- More than 270,000 customers worldwide trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. Learn more.
- 10 brands using tech to create great in-store experiences
- CMO interview: Putting IBM’s marketing technology under the microscope
- 5 lessons from AMP on deploying marketing automation
- How Suncorp plans to reduce churn with its connected customer strategy
- What it takes to be a great digital B2B marketer