Windows Vista for Dummies
Move your files to a new computer, or get your old PC ready for Vista
The thing that's made Windows For Dummies so successful is that it's packed with the basics you need to make Windows work. This book gets you through all the Windows Vista tasks and tripwires, including starting programs, finding files, navigating the new see-through interface, staying safe while you cruise the Internet, and much more.
Discover how to
- Find files when they're hiding
- Hook up with another computer
- Make Vista work like XP
- Block Internet bad guys
- Share a PC without sharing your files
- Fix problems yourself
He wrote articles for various techie publications before moving to computer books in 1992. He’s written the Windows For Dummies series, Upgrading and Fixing PCs For Dummies, TiVo For Dummies, PCs: The Missing Manual, and many other computer books.
Today, he has more than 15 million copies of his books in print, and they’ve been translated into more than 30 languages. You can reach Andy at his Web site, www.andyrathbone.com.
Table of Contents
Part I: Windows Vista Stuff Everybody Thinks You Already Know.
Chapter 1: What Is Windows Vista?
Chapter 2: The Desktop, Start Menu, and Other Windows Vista Mysteries.
Chapter 3: Basic Windows Mechanics.
Chapter 4: Flipping Through Files, Folders, Floppies, and CDs.
Part II: Working with Programs and Files.
Chapter 5: Playing with Programs and Documents.
Chapter 6: Briefly Lost, but Quickly Found.
Chapter 7: Printing Your Work.
Part III: Getting Things Done on the Internet.
Chapter 8: Cruising the Web.
Chapter 9: Sending and Receiving E-mail.
Chapter 10: Safe Computing.
Part IV: Customizing and Upgrading Windows Vista.
Chapter 11: Customizing Windows Vista with the Control Panel.
Chapter 12: Keeping Windows from Breaking.
Chapter 13: Sharing One Computer with Several People.
Chapter 14: Connecting Two or More Computers with a Network.
Part V: Music, Movies, Memories (and Photos, Too).
Chapter 15: Playing and Copying Music in Media Player.
Chapter 16: Fiddling with Photos and Movies.
Part VI: Help!
Chapter 17: The Case of the Broken Window.
Chapter 18: Strange Messages: What You Did Does Not Compute.
Chapter 19: Moving from an Old Computer to a New One.
Chapter 20: Help on the Windows Vista Help System.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 21: Ten or So Things You’ll Hate about Windows Vista (and How to Fix Them).
Chapter 22: Ten or So Tips for Laptop Owners.
Appendix: Upgrading to Windows Vista.
Sign up now »
Network hacking and corporate espionage are on the rise and set to intensify. Information security risks remain commonplace, and most organisations need to increase vigilance. This paper has analyses the ...
"Suggesting that people's "purpose is to get information to flow through the ..."
Why change management doesn’t work
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
- AusCERT 2013: Introduction to Network Security Monitoring with Security Onion - AusCERT Presentation
- Auscert 2013: Perimeter protection has failed, encryption needs its day in the sun
- AusCERT 2013: Low-level analysis can find, map data deleted from Android phones
- Cybercrime Survey: Almost half of small business victims
- AusCERT 2013: Cloud-based scanner identifies new malware by its ancestry
- Lack of information, skills hinder finance-business partnering: Deloitte
- Rapid-growing mobile payments market is driving a financial fraud marketplace
- HP profit falls 32 per cent as PC and server sales decline
- Google launching new fund for later-stage tech investments
- Apple defends offshore decisions that result in low taxes