Universal Usability - Designing Information Systems for Diverse Users
This book, featuring key chapters by Human-Computer Interaction luminaries such as Jonathan Lazar, Ron Baecker, Allison Druin, Ben Shneiderman, Brad Myers and Jenny Preece, examines innovative and groundbreaking research and practice, and provides a practical overview of a number of successful projects which have addressed a need for these specific user populations. Chapters in this book address topics including age diversity, economic diversity, language diversity, visual impairment, and spinal cord injuries. Several of these trailblazing projects in the book are amongst the first to examine usability issues for users with Down Syndrome, users with Amnesia, users with Autism Spectrum Disorders, and users with Alzheimer's Disease, and coverage extends to projects where multiple categories of needs are addressed.
These chapters represent real-world projects, being carried out on different continents. The authors of the chapters also represent diversity—interface researchers and software developers in university, industrial, and government settings. In the practical spirit of the book, chapter authors provide guidelines and suggestions for those attempting similar projects, as well as implications for different stakeholders such as policymakers, researchers, and designers. Ideal for students of HCI and User Interface Design, and essential reading for usability practitioners, this fascinating collection of real-world projects demonstrates that computer interfaces can truly be designed to meet the needs of any category of user.
Dr. Lazar has authored over 70 refereed publications, on the topics of web usability, assistive technology, user error and frustration, and user-centered design methods. He has previously authored two books and edited two books. His most recent authored book is "Web Usability: A User-Centered Design Approach", published by Addison-Wesley in 2006, and his most recent edited book is "Universal Usability: Designing Computer Interfaces for Diverse User Populations" published by John Wiley in 2007.
Dr. Lazar is a founding member and currently serves as Chair of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) SIGCHI U.S. Public Policy Committee. He was also recently named a Distinguished Speaker of the ACM. He has served on a number of conference committees, including CHI, ASSETS, INTERACT, and HCII.
Table of Contents
Preface - Ben Shneiderman.
1. Introduction to Universal Usability - Jonathan Lazar.
2. Designing Searching and Browsing Software for Elementary-Age Children - Hilary Hutchinson, Allison Druin & Benjamin B. Bederson.
3. The Why and How of Senior-Focused Design - Teri O'Connell.
4. Online Redesign of a Web Site's Information Architecture to Improve Accessibility for Users Who are Blind - Vanessa Evers and Hans Hillen.
5. Listening to Choropleth Maps: Interactive Sonification of Geo-Referenced Data For Users With Visual Impairment -Haixia Zhao, Ben Shneiderman & Catherine Plaisant.
6. Improving Screen Readers for Blind Users - Jonathan Lazar & Aaron Allen.
7. Web Fun Central: Online Learning Tools for Individuals with Down Syndrome - Matt Myers, Assadour Kirijian & Sylvie Charland.
8. Using Virtual Peer Technology as an Intervention for Children with Autism -
Andrea Tartaro & Justine Cassell.
9. Evidence-based computer-assisted instruction for Autism Spectrum Disorders - Christina Whalen, Brooke Ingersoll, Lars Liden & Sven Liden.
10. Making Software Accessible for Users with Dementia - Norman Alm, Richard Dye, Arlene Astell, Maggie Ellis, Gary Gowans & Jim Campbell.
11. Designing a Cognitive Aid for and with People who have Anterograde Amnesia - Mike Wu, Ron Baecker & Brian Richards.
12. Memories of a Life: A Design Case Study for Alzheimer's Disease -
Tira Cohene, Ron Baecker & Elsa Marziali, and Simona Mindy.
13. Interaction Techniques for Users with Spinal Cord Injuries: A Speech Based Solution - Jinjuan Feng and Andrew Sears.
14. Adding Gestural Text Entry to Input Devices for People with Motor Impairments - Jacob Wobbrock & Brad A. Myers.
15. The Creating Community Connections Project: Social and Cultural Approaches for Engaging Low-Income Communities - Randal Pinkett.
16. Implementing Community-Based Participatory Research to Reduce Health and Technology Disparities Among Low Income African-American Women -
Diane Maloney-Krischmar, Eleanor Walker, David Bushnell & Sadanand Sirvastava.
17. Evaluating the Usability and Accessibility of an Online Form for Census Data Collection - Elizabeth D. Murphy, Lawrence A. Malakhoff and David A. Coon.
18.Internationalizing Greenstone: A Multi-Lingual Tool for Building Digital Libraries - David M. Nichols, Te Taka Keegan, David Bainbridge, Sally Jo Cunningham, Michael Dewship & Ian H. Witten.
19. Making Universal Access Truly Universal: Looking Towards the Future -
Sign up now »
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTQuality ManagerSA
In a sluggish economy, getting the best ROI on every IT dollar spent is the top priority for almost every business. Storage budgets in most IT environments continue to remain ...
The nature of work has changed fundamentally and forever and it continues to evolve rapidly. Geographic distance and ...
"Suggesting that people's "purpose is to get information to flow through the ..."
Why change management doesn’t work
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- IN PICTURES: Citrix Solutions expo (49 photos)
- IN PICTURES: Citrix parties one more night with Maroon 5 ( +57 photos)
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia