Software Error Detection Through Testing and Analysis
Software error detection is one of the most challenging problems in software engineering. Now, you can learn how to make the most of software testing by selecting test cases to maximize the probability of revealing latent errors. Software Error Detection through Testing and Analysis begins with a thorough discussion of test-case selection and a review of the concepts, notations, and principles used in the book. Next, it covers:
- Code-based test-case selection methods
- Specification-based test-case selection methods
- Additional advanced topics in testing
- Analysis of symbolic trace
- Static analysis
- Program instrumentation
Each chapter begins with a clear introduction and ends with exercises for readers to test their understanding of the material. Plus, appendices provide a logico-mathematical background, glossary, and questions for self-assessment. Assuming a basic background in software quality assurance and an ability to write nontrivial programs, the book is free of programming languages and paradigms used to construct the program under test.
Software Error Detection through Testing and Analysis is suitable as a professional reference for software testing specialists, software engineers, software developers, and software programmers. It is also appropriate as a textbook for software engineering, software testing, and software quality assurance courses at the advanced undergraduate and graduate levels.
Table of Contents
1 Concepts, Notation, and Principles.
1.1 Concepts, Terminology, and Notation.
1.2 Two Principles of Test-Case Selection.
1.3 Classification of Faults.
1.4 Classification of Test-Case Selection Methods.
1.5 The Cost of Program Testing.
2 Code-Based Test-Case Selection Methods.
2.1 Path Testing.
2.2 Statement Testing.
2.3 Branch Testing.
2.4 Howden’s and McCabe’s Methods.
2.5 Data-Flow Testing.
2.6 Domain-Strategy Testing.
2.7 Program Mutation and Fault Seeding.
3 Specification-Based Test-Case Selection Methods.
3.1 Subfunction Testing.
3.2 Predicate Testing.
3.3 Boundary-Value Analysis.
3.4 Error Guessing.
4 Software Testing Roundup.
4.1 Ideal Test Sets.
4.2 Operational Testing.
4.3 Integration Testing.
4.4 Testing Object-Oriented Programs.
4.5 Regression Testing.
4.6 Criteria for Stopping a Test.
4.7 Choosing a Test-Case Selection Criterion.
5 Analysis of Symbolic Traces.
5.1 Symbolic Trace and Program Graph.
5.2 The Concept of a State Constraint.
5.3 Rules for Moving and Simplifying Constraints.
5.4 Rules for Moving and Simplifying Statements.
5.6 Supporting Software Tool.
6 Static Analysis.
6.1 Data-Flow Anomaly Detection.
6.2 Symbolic Evaluation (Execution).
6.3 Program Slicing.
6.4 Code Inspection.
6.5 Proving Programs Correct.
7 Program Instrumentation.
7.1 Test-Coverage Measurement.
7.2 Test-Case Effectiveness Assessment.
7.3 Instrumenting Programs for Assertion Checking.
7.4 Instrumenting Programs for Data-Flow-Anomaly Detection.
7.5 Instrumenting Programs for Trace-Subprogram Generation.
Appendix A: Logico-Mathematical Background.
Appendix B: Glossary.
Appendix C: Questions for Self-Assessment.
Sign up now »
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
This white paper details a number of best practices for migrating to SharePoint 2013. These best practices also apply to migrations to most earlier versions of SharePoint. Download now.
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
- Pentagon clearance for iOS could open even more doors for Apple in the private sector
- Digital strongboxes won't solve whistleblower problem for journalists
- ACMA database keeps finger on Australia’s malware pulse
- Bit9, FireEye, Palo Alto Networks team to hit zero-day malware
- Opinion varies on action against Chinese cyberattacks
- Commonwealth Bank leads four Australian brands in the 2013 top 100 Global brands list
- More Australians are using mobiles to connect to social media: report
- Oo.com.au partners with Responsys to overhaul digital customer strategy
- Coles Flybuys wins over Aussie consumers in new customer loyalty schemes report
- Tablet advertising exceeds smartphone spend in March quarter: IAB