Practical Genetic Algorithms, Second Edition with CD-ROM
* Most significant update to the second edition is the MATLAB codes that accompany the text
* Provides a thorough discussion of hybrid genetic algorithms
* Features more examples than first edition
SUE ELLEN HAUPT, PhD, is a Senior Research Associate in the Computational Mechanics Division of The Pennsylvania State University Applied Research Laboratory, State College, Pennsylvania.
Both Randy and Sue Ellen Haupt are renowned experts in the field of genetic algorithms in engineering and science applications.
Table of Contents
Preface to First Edition.
List of Symbols.
1. Introduction to Optimization.
1.1 Finding the Best Solution.
1.2 Minimum-Seeking Algorithms.
1.3 Natural Optimization Methods.
1.4 Biological Optimization: Natural Selection.
1.5 The Genetic Algorithm.
2. The Binary Genetic Algorithm.
2.1 Genetic Algorithms: Natural Selection on a Computer.
2.2 Components of a Binary Genetic Algorithm.
2.3 A Parting Look.
3. The Continuous Genetic Algorithm.
3.1 Components of a Continuous Genetic Algorithm.
3.2 A Parting Look.
4. Basic Applications.
4.1 "Mary Had a Little Lamb".
4.2 Algorithmic Creativity-Genetic Art.
4.3 Word Guess.
4.4 Locating an Emergency Response Unit.
4.5 Antenna Array Design.
4.6 The Evolution of Horses.
5. An Added Level of Sophistication.
5.1 Handling Expensive Cost Functions.
5.2 Multiple Objective Optimization.
5.3 Hybrid GA.
5.4 Gray Codes.
5.5 Gene Size.
5.7 Alternative Crossovers for Binary GAs.
5.10 Permutation Problems.
5.11 Selling GA Parameters.
5.12 Continuous versus Binary GA.
5.13 Messy Genetic Algorithms.
5.14 Parallel Genetic Algorithms.
6. Advanced Applications.
6.1 Traveling Salespersons Problem.
6.2 Locating an Emergency Response Unit Revisited.
6.3 Decoding a Secret Message.
6.4 Robot Trajectory Planning.
6.5 Stealth Design.
6.6 Building Dynamical Inverse Models-The Linear Case.
6.7 Building Dynamical Inverse Models-The Nonlinear Case.
6.8 Combining GAs with Simulations-Air Pollution Receptor Modeling.
6.9 Combining Methods Neural Nets with GAs.
6.10 Solving High-Order Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations.
7. More Natural Optimization Algorithms.
7.1 Simulated Annealing.
7.2 Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO).
7.3 Ant Colony Optimization (ACO).
7.4 Genetic Programming (GP).
7.5 Cultural Algorithms.
7.6 Evolutionary Strategies.
7.7 The Future of Genetic Algorithms.
Appendix I: Test Functions.
Appendix II: MATLAB Code.
Appendix III. High-Performance Fortran Code.
Sign up now »
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
Are your requirements the need for faster release cycles, you have reduced budgets required to run and manage a complex test environment, and you want to decrease your third party ...
The nature of work has changed fundamentally and forever and it continues to evolve rapidly. Geographic distance and ...
"Suggesting that people's "purpose is to get information to flow through the ..."
Why change management doesn’t work
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
- AusCERT 2013: Four dissenters to spur next year's security debates
- AusCERT 2013: Kill the password, says Mozilla
- AusCERT 2013: Unmanaged, unknown privileged logins opening the door for APTs: Cyber-Ark
- AusCERT 2013: Companies unaware of IPv6 security risk even if they’re not using it
- In pictures: AusCERT 2013 roundup
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia