Microsoft Windows Vista Simplified
Windows 7 is the operating system used by most desktop and laptop PCs around the world. If you are a visual learner who is eager to learn Windows 7-but is also perhaps, intimidated-then this is the ideal resource for you.
Experienced author Paul McFedries offers visual learners a friendly and comfortable learning environment for getting familiar with Windows 7. He offers a visual approach to discovering the new features of Windows 7 and provides step-by-step instructions for performing basic tasks and tackling common troubleshooting issues. You'll learn 7 basics, as well as how to work with files, browse the Web, and e-mail.
- Visual learners will embrace this approach of being shown-rather than told-how to work with the new Windows 7
- Step-by-step instructions demonstrate how to create movies, work with files, browse the Web, e-mail, and use the new interface, Media Player, and Internet Explorer
With the visual assistance offered in this book, you'll be up and running with Windows 7 in no time!
Table of Contents
Start Windows Vista.
What You Can Do with Windows Vista.
The Windows Vista Screen.
Using a Mouse with Windows Vista.8
Activate Your Copy of Windows Vista.
Restart Windows Vista.
Shut Down Windows Vista.
2 Launching and Working with Programs.
Install a Program.
Change or Repair a Program Installation.
Start a Program.
Understanding Program Windows.
Using Pull-Down Menus.
Understanding Dialog Box Controls.
Using Dialog Boxes.
Work with Program Windows.
Switch Between Programs.
Uninstall a Program.
3 Creating and Editing Documents.
Create a Document.
Save a Document.
Open a Document.
Edit Document Text.
Change the Text Font.
Print a Document.
4 Working with Images.
Open the Pictures Folder.
Preview an Image.
View Your Images.
Scan an Image.
Import Images from a Digital Camera.
Repair a Digital Image.
Print an Image.
5 Playing Music and Other Media.
Open and Close Windows Media Player.
Navigate the Media Player Window.
Using the Library.
Play an Audio or a Video File.
Adjust the Volume.
Play a Music CD.
Copy Tracks from a Music CD.
Create a Playlist.
Burn Music Files to a CD.
Play a DVD.
Navigate a DVD.
6 Working with Files.
View Your Files.
Select a File.
Change the File View.
Preview a File.
Copy a File.
Move a File.
Copy Files to a CD or DVD.
Rename a File.
Create a New File.
Delete a File.
Restore a Deleted File.
Search for a File.
Extract Files from a Compressed Folder.
7 Sharing Your Computer with Others.
Display User Accounts.
Create a User Account.
Switch Between Accounts.
Change a User’s Name.
Protect an Account with a Password.
Delete an Account.
Set Up Parental Controls.
8 Surfing the World Wide Web.
Understanding the World Wide Web.
Start Internet Explorer.
Navigate Internet Explorer .
Select a Link.
Enter a Web Page Address.
Open a Web Page in a Tab.
Navigate Web Pages.
Change Your Home Page.
Save Favorite Web Pages.
Search for Sites.
9 Sending and Receiving E-mail.
Start Windows Mail.
Navigate Windows Mail.
Send an E-mail Message.
Add Someone to Your Contacts.
Select a Contact Address.
Add a File Attachment.
Add a Signature.
Receive and Read E-mail Messages.
Reply to a Message.
Forward a Message.
Open and Save an Attachment.
10 Tracking Appointment and Tasks.
Start Windows Calendar.
Navigate Windows Calendar.
Display a Different Date.
Create an Appointment.
Create a Task.
11 Customizing Windows Vista.
Open the Personalization Window.
Change the Desktop Background.
Set the Screen Saver.
Change the Windows Vista Color Scheme.
Save a Custom Desktop Theme.
Customize the Start Menu.
Customize the Taskbar.
12 Maintaining Windows Vista.
Check Hard Drive Free Space.
Delete Unnecessary Files.
Defragment Your Hard Drive on a Schedule.
Check Your Hard Drive for Errors.
Back Up Files.
Restore Backed-up Files.
Sign up now »
- FTTest Manager - IMMEDIATE STARTNSW
- FTSenior E-Commerce PHP Developer- North Sydney- E-commerce Software $110kNSW
- FTTechnical Account Manager - MSP + CloudVIC
- FTSenior Field Engineer - MSNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTSnr Web Developer PHP/Magento/API integration into E-commerce sites. $100k+SuperNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTSenior Projects EngineerNSW
Governance for all is more than an IT initiative or a goal written in a plan document; it’s a strategy that unites IT and business content owners to achieve their ...
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
"Hi there! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up ..."
Opinion: Why national e-health is not for everyone
- Facebook, financial firms targeted by online maurauders
- Pressure mounts for building in security during application development
- The week in security: Aussie banks targeted as mobiles drive privacy fears
- Bank trojan targets users of Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox
- Security Manager's Journal: NAC deployment means better access control at last