Managing the Testing Process: Practical Tools and Techniques for Managing Hardware and Software Testing, Second Edition
In this update of his bestselling book, Rex Black walks you through how to develop essential tools and apply them to your test project. He helps you master the basic tools, apply the techniques to manage your resources, and give each area just the right amount of attention so that you can successfully survive managing a test project!
Offering a thorough review of the tools and resources you will need to manage both large and small projects for hardware and software, this book prepares you to adapt the concepts across a broad range of settings. Simple and effective, the tools comply with industry standards and bring you up to date with the best test management practices and tools of leading hardware and software vendors. Rex Black draws from his own numerous testing experiences-- including the bad ones, so you can learn from his mistakes-- to provide you with insightful tips in test project management. He explores such topics as:
- Dates, budgets, and quality-expectations versus reality
- Fitting the testing process into the overall development or maintenance process
- How to choose and when to use test engineers and technicians, contractors and consultants, and external test labs and vendors
- Setting up and using an effective and simple bug-tracking database
- Following the status of each test case
The companion Web site contains fifty tools, templates, and case studies that will help you put these ideas into action--fast!
Table of Contents
1. Defining What's on Your Plate: The Foundation of a Test Project.
2. Plotting and Presenting Your Course: The Test Plan.
3. Test System Architecture, Cases, and Coverage.
4. An Exciting Career in Entomology Awaits You: A Bug Tracking Database.
5. Managing Test Cases: The Test Tracking Spreadsheet.
6. Tips and Tools for Crunch Time: Managing the Dynamic.
7. Stocking and Managing a Test Lab.
8. Staffing and Managing a Test Team.
9. The Triumph of Politics: Organizational Challenges for Test Managers.
10. Involving Other Players: Distributing a Test Project.
11. Testing in Context: Economics, Life Cycles, and Process Maturity.
Appendix A: Hardware Testing Fundamentals: An Introduction for Software Testing Professionals.
Appendix B: Bibliography, Related Readings, and Other Resources.
Sign up now »
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
Developed by the CIO executive Council in conjunction with Rob Livingstone Advisory, Pathways Advanced is a 12-month CIO delivered, small group, mentor based professional leadership development program. Pathways Advanced brings ...
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
- Commonwealth Bank leads four Australian brands in the 2013 top 100 Global brands list
- More Australians are using mobiles to connect to social media: report
- Oo.com.au partners with Responsys to overhaul digital customer strategy
- Coles Flybuys wins over Aussie consumers in new customer loyalty schemes report
- Tablet advertising exceeds smartphone spend in March quarter: IAB