Explorations in Theology and Film - Movies and Meaning
Gaye Ortiz lectures in theology, religious and cultural studies at the University College of Ripon and York St. John, England, and is a media writer and broadcaster, specializing in theology and the media. She is a member of the Catholic Theological Association of Great Britain and a founder member of the Leeds Diocesan Media Commission. As a member of ICOC (the International Catholic Organisation for Cinema) she has served on international film festival juries, twice as jury president. Together with Stephen Brown she has co-ordinated Faith and Film for the Leeds International Film Festival.
Table of Contents
List of Plates.
Introduction (Clive Marsh and Gaye Ortiz).
1. Film, Movies, and Meanings (David Browne).
2. Film and Theologies of Culture (Clive Marsh).
3. The Uses of Film in Theology (David John Graham).
4. From Domination to Mutuality in The Piano and in the Gospel of Mark (David Rhoads and Sandra Roberts).
5. The Drama of Salvatin in George Stevens's Shane (Robert Banks).
6. Edward Scissorhands: Christology from a Suburban Fairy-tale (Peter Malone).
7. Redeeming Violence in the Films of Martin Scorsese (David John Graham).
8. Liberation in Awakenings (Ian Maher).
9. Jesus Christ Movie Star: The Depiction of Jesus in the Cinema (William R. Telford).
10. The Terminator Movies: Hi-Tech Holiness and the Human Condition (Gaye Ortiz and Maggie Roux).
11. Stuck in Time: Kairos, Chromos, ad the Flesh in Groundhog Day (Robert Jewett).
12. Moral Ambiguity and Contradiction in Dead Poets Society (Stephen Brie and David Torevell).
13. Between Eden and Armageddon: Institutions, Individuals, and Identification the the Mission, the Name of the Rose, and Priest (Vaughan Roberts).
14. The Spirituality of Shirley Valentine (Clive Marsh).
15. Did You Say "Grace"?: Eating in Community in babette's Feast (Clive Marsh).
16. Optimism, Hope, and Feelgood Movies: The Capra Connection (Stephen Brown).
Part Three: .
17. On Systematizing the unsystematic?: A response (David Jasper).
18. Theology Beyond the Modern and the Postmodern: A Future Agenda for theology and Film (Clive Marsh and Gaye Ortiz).
Index of Biblical references.
Sign up now »
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
Lawyers work hard, and they work fast. Any activity that takes their focus away from the task at hand represents lost productivity and lost revenue. Slater & Gordon Lawyers needed ...
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
- Chinese hackers resume attacks on U.S. targets
- Govt asks industry for help to stem security breaches
- Peculiar malware trail raises questions about security firm in India
- Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins, report says
- Smartphones take center stage in two-factor authentication schemes