Caution! Music & Video Downloading: Your Guide to Legal, Safe, and Trouble-free Downloads
Everybody's doing it - downloading music and video from the Internet and sharing files. But you've always worried that such downloads might put your computer at risk, and wondered - are they legal? Relax. This book shows you exactly how to safeguard y our PC while enjoying music and video downloads from safe and legal sources. You'll get the facts, not the scare tactics, about online music services, virus dangers, spyware, identity theft, and other privacy concerns, with many tips to protect your computer and yourself.
* Select download sites that are safe, legal, and sometimes free
* Review major music downloading and file-sharing sites to choose the best service for your needs
* Make informed decisions about direct downloads versus file sharing
* Get the security track records of all the major file-sharing and direct-download sites
* Understand the types of file-sharing attacks and know if you've bee victimized
* Examine the unique risks associated with network use
* Take a look at privacy laws and learn how to protect yourself online
* Learn why illegal downloads aren't worth the risk
* Download media files safely to your cell phone, MP3 player, or PDA
Dave Mercer is the founder of Servata Online Applications. He is a computer consultant who has advised corporations, government, and non-profit organizations on information processing.
Table of Contents
Part I: Safely Choosing and Using Music Services.
Chapter 1: Direct Downloading or File Sharing: Making the Right Choices for Efficiency and Safety.
Chapter 2: Managing Your Risk by Choosing the Best Direct-Download Service.
Chapter 3: Managing Your Risk by Choosing the Best File-Sharing Service.
Part II: Protecting Yourself Technologically and Legally.
Chapter 4: Behind the Scenes: What Really Happens When File Sharing.
Chapter 5: Dangers of Downloading or Sharing Files: The Nature of the Threat.
Chapter 6: Protecting Yourself and Your Computer.
Chapter 7: Protecting Your Network.
Chapter 8: Protecting Your Privacy.
Chapter 9: Protecting Yourself from Illegal Downloads.
Part III: Legal and Safe Fun with Downloaded Media.
Chapter 10: Safely Downloading Media to Portable Devices.
Chapter 11: Creative and Legal Music and Video Projects.
Part IV: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Music and Video Services.
Appendix B: Useful Information.
Appendix C: Chronicle of a Typical Digital Download.
Sign up now »
- FTTest Manager - IMMEDIATE STARTNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FTSnr Web Developer PHP/Magento/API integration into E-commerce sites. $100k+SuperNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior E-Commerce PHP Developer- North Sydney- E-commerce Software $110kNSW
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Field Engineer - MSNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTTechnical Account Manager - MSP + CloudVIC
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Projects EngineerNSW
Messaging and collaboration platforms have emerged as mission critical applications, consuming a large portion of IT spending for organisations. The rich features in these applications have significantly changed the messaging ...
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
- Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins, report says
- Facebook, financial firms targeted by online maurauders
- Pressure mounts for building in security during application development
- The week in security: Aussie banks targeted as mobiles drive privacy fears
- Bank trojan targets users of Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox