Cabling - the Complete Guide to Network Wiring 3E
In this third edition of a widely acclaimed resource, three networking experts share their extensive experience, teaching you the cabling skills you need to build a reliable, efficient, and cost-effective network cabling infrastructure. As you master these techniques, you'll learn to avoid common pitfalls and troubleshoot problems as quickly as they arise. Coverage includes:
- Choosing the right cables and components for your network architecture and topology
- Avoiding unnecessary and unexpected costs
- Understanding the current limitations of data communications and network cabling
- Understanding how laws and building codes constrain cabling
- Understanding the function and importance of universal cabling standards
- Determining when you have a cabling-related network problem
- Assembling a complete cabling toolkit
- Integrating voice and data on the same cable system
- Setting up an infrastructure in which desktops, printers, copiers, and other nodes share cabling
- Understanding issues of bandwidth, impedance, resistance, attenuation, crosstalk, capacitance, propagation, delay, and delay skew
- Working effectively with USB and Firewire
- Knowing when to discard legacy cabling and begin anew
- Documenting your cabling
- Creating an RFP and selecting a vendor
Table of Contents
Part I Technology and Components.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Data Cabling.
Chapter 2: Cabling Specifications and Standards.
Chapter 3: Choosing the Correct Cabling.
Chapter 4: Cable System and Infrastructure Constraints.
Chapter 5: Cabling System Components.
Chapter 6: Tools of the Trade.
Part II Network Media and Connectors.
Chapter 7: Copper Cable Media.
Chapter 8: Wall Plates.
Chapter 9: Connectors.
Chapter 10: Fiber-Optic Media.
Chapter 11: Unbounded (Wireless) Media.
Part III Cabling Design and Installation.
Chapter 12: Cabling-System Design and Installation.
Chapter 13: Cable-Connector Installation.
Chapter 14: Cable-System Testing and Troubleshooting.
Chapter 15: Creating a Request for Proposal (RFP).
Chapter 16: Cabling @ Work: Experience from the Field.
Part IV Appendices.
Appendix A: Cabling Resources.
Appendix B: Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) Certification.
Appendix C: Home Cabling: Wiring Your Home for Now and the Future.
Appendix D: Overview of IEEE 1394 and USB Networking.
Appendix E: The Electronics Technicians Association, International (ETA) Certifications.
Sign up now »
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTFlash / ActionScript Developer - ContractNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTJob Title: Mac Systems/ Enterprise Systems EngineerNZ
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
Shane Gaffney, head of IT operations explain how HP Business Service Manager solutions have helped Vodafone to transform from a reactive to a proactive IT Operations function, and to align ...
The nature of work has changed fundamentally and forever and it continues to evolve rapidly. Geographic distance and ...
"Suggesting that people's "purpose is to get information to flow through the ..."
Why change management doesn’t work
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Look beyond Cloud infrastructure, says Liang
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Christiancen highlights the need for collaboration
- CITRIX SYNERGY ’13: Devices will change how people work, says Duursma
- IN PICTURES: Citrix Solutions expo (49 photos)
- IN PICTURES: Citrix parties one more night with Maroon 5 ( +57 photos)
- Analytics and personalisation drive leading marketer behaviour: Report
- Innovation and big data take centre stage during CMO panel
- Twitter targets second screen interaction with Amplify advertising partnerships
- Facebook talks hyper-targeting, analytics and cross-platform at AANA event
- Tapping into social experience: Tourism Australia