Asterisk for Dummies
Asterisk takes the data side of telecom and applies it to the handling and processing of voice calls. This book will show you everything you need to know to install, program, and grow with Asterisk. The invaluable information covered in this guide shows you how to:
- Utilize dialplan, add features, and build infrastructure
- Maintain your telecom service
- Address call-quality concerns and completion issues
- Provide long-term health for your Asterisk switch
- Operate the AsteriskNOW GUI
- Utilize VoIP codecs
- Troubleshoot VoIP calls with packet captures
- Avoid the things you should never do with Asterisk
In addition to these essential tools, this trusty guide shows you how to manipulate your Asterisk and make it even more useful, such as fending off telemarketers, creating a voice mailbox that e-mails everyone, and transmitting your voice through your stereo. It also has quick references that no Asterisk operator should be without, like dialplan functions, VoIP basics, and a concise guide to Linux. With Asterisk for Dummies, you’ll have the power to handle all the necessary programming to set up the system and keep it running smoothly.
Stephen didn’t start out in life as a techie, only falling prey to the glamour and easy money after failing to find a career enabling him to use his Bachelors degree in Cultural Anthropology. He currently lives in the quaint hamlet of Laguna Beach, California with his beautiful wife Kayley and a collection of fountain pens.
Brady Kirby is the owner of Atlas VoIP and has been programming since he was 13 years old. The initial challenge of writing small screen savers in qbasic wasn’t enough for him and by the 10th grade he worked his way up to the strong stuff — game programming. It was at this tender age that Brady accepted his calling. He realized it was his lot in life to make the world a better place, solving people’s problems, by evolving inventive software.
Brady spends his free time with his son, Brady Kirby III, in the crucible of technology and engineering, Huntsville, Alabama. Surrounded by many tech companies, and that space program we have (we think it’s called NASA), they enjoy the good life with large helpings of lasagna and good Mexican food. It’s in this environment that Brady III is mentored in all aspects of programming by his father. Maybe to write his own For Dummies book someday.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introducing . . . ASTERISK!
Chapter 1: Evaluating the Possibilities with Asterisk.
Chapter 2: Installing Asterisk.
Chapter 3: Installing AsteriskNOW.
Chapter 4: Configuring the Hardware.
Part II: Using Dialplans — the Building Blocks of Asterisk.
Chapter 5: Comprehending Dialplan Syntax.
Chapter 6: Adding Features to Dialplans.
Chapter 7: Building Dialplan Infrastructure.
Chapter 8: Operating the AsteriskNOW GUI.
Chapter 9: Utilizing VoIP Codecs.
Part III: Maintaining Your Phone Service with Asterisk.
Chapter 10: Troubleshooting VoIP Calls with Packet Captures.
Chapter 11: Maintaining Your Telecom Services.
Chapter 12: Addressing Call-Quality Concerns and Completion Issues.
Chapter 13: Handling Dedicated Digital Troubles.
Chapter 14: Managing Asterisk for Peak Capacity.
Chapter 15: Providing Long-Term Health for Your Asterisk Switch.
Part IV: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 16: Ten Things You Should Never Do with Asterisk.
Chapter 17: Ten Fun Things to Do with Your Asterisk.
Chapter 18: Ten Places to Go for Help.
Part V: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Visualizing the Dialplan.
Appendix B: VoIP Basics.
Appendix C: Understanding Basic Linux.
Sign up now »
- FTTest Manager - IMMEDIATE STARTNSW
- FTSenior Projects EngineerNSW
- FTSnr Web Developer PHP/Magento/API integration into E-commerce sites. $100k+SuperNSW
- FTQuality ManagerSA
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Field Engineer - MSNSW
- FT.NET - Sitecore Developer - Melbourne - PermNSW
- FTSenior Python Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTOS Web Applications DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Developer- Drupal and PHP. Exciting new position- #2 in Dev team.$100k+SuperNSW
- FTR&D EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Account Manager - MSP + CloudVIC
- FTSenior Python DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior E-Commerce PHP Developer- North Sydney- E-commerce Software $110kNSW
- FTLead Software EngineerSA
Developed by the CIO executive Council in conjunction with Rob Livingstone Advisory, Pathways Advanced is a 12-month CIO delivered, small group, mentor based professional leadership development program. Pathways Advanced brings ...
"Darn those pesky laws that get in the way of commercial exploitation ..."
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
"Instead of partitioning the device between corporate and personal data, another approach ..."
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
"Well that's a nice back-handed compliment isn't it? So now, finally, my ..."
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
"Actually, both Mobile App developers and CIOs should be blamed for it. ..."
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
"Too little too late. Spice normally has better standards than this. I ..."
Spiceworks' free management software gets integrated MDM
- Attack on Telenor was part of large cyberespionage operation with Indian origins, report says
- Facebook, financial firms targeted by online maurauders
- Pressure mounts for building in security during application development
- The week in security: Aussie banks targeted as mobiles drive privacy fears
- Bank trojan targets users of Bitcoin exchange Mt Gox