10 things we hate about Microsoft's Surface Windows 8 Pro
- 06 February, 2013 03:01
After checking out a loaner from Microsoft we came up with some things we'd like to see changed to make this a better product. Here's the list. (Watch a slideshow of Surface's features.)
[ THEN AGAIN ...: 10 things we love about the Surface for Windows 8 Pro
TEST YOURSELF: The Windows 8 quiz
NAVIGATE: 12 essential Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts ]
1. You can't adjust the camera angle.
2. The battery life is poor. Microsoft claims 4.5 to 5 hours, but it can be less depending on workload.
3. No option to swap in a freshly charged battery.
4. You get significantly less storage than advertised. For example the device we borrowed had only 84.5GB out of 128GB total storage available for customer use.
5. The Touch keyboard yields slower wpm scores.
6. There is no 3G or 4G option.
7. There is no Ethernet port.
8. There is no version of Office as with Microsoft's other tablet Surface RT.
9. The kickstand. This prop supports the display at what Microsoft says is an optimal angle, but one angle just isn't appropriate for all uses.
10. There's no place to stow the stylus. It's magnetized to fit in the power-cord connector, but if you plug in the power you have to remove the stylus.
Tim Greene covers Microsoft for Network World and writes the Mostly Microsoft blog. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @Tim_Greene.
Read more about data center in Network World's Data Center section.
Join the CIO Australia group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.
How to Switch From iPhone 5S to BlackBerry Z30 (and Why)
CIOs to Become In-House Brokers -- and That's a Good Thing
The future of computing
10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
The future of computing
Using an Expert System for Deeper Vulnerability Scanning
This paper serves security professionals interested in better techniques for finding vulnerabilities, who have a solid understanding of networking principles and familiarity with the concepts related to hacking, vulnerabilities, and exploits. Read on for an in-depth view of the use of expert systems to achieve accurate and detailed vulnerability results.
Performance in Supply Chain
Delivering more products, heightened quality and shortened customers with flawless execution and minimal business interruption defines your supply chain success. This report discusses a newly developed end-to-end solution with the right tools to efficiently procure, assemble, ship and deliver the goods your customers want, when they want them.
Modernize Your Business with Oracle ERP Cloud
If your business has plans that include aggressive growth and aspires to be a best-in-class organization, your IT systems and applications need to be up to the task. Homegrown solutions or outdated software can hamper the execution of your strategic vision. If your IT infrastructure and maintenance costs are affecting your ability to stay competitive, then a cloud-based enterprise resource planning (ERP) suite is well worth exploring. This eBook explores the core components of a cloud-based ERP solution that delivers enterprise-class software without sacrificing functionality or changes to business processes and with no additional cost for infrastructure and complicated integrations.