The 5 hottest IT jobs right now
- 26 July, 2012 16:23
If you're an IT professional with experience building mobile or Cloud applications, it's a good time to be job hunting. That's because the number of job openings in these areas is up dramatically from last summer.
Leading IT job site Dice.com reports the following five areas as growing the most this year in terms of job openings:
- iPhone developers, which is up 106% from last summer. Dice.com lists 2,254 open jobs for iPhone and iPad developers and engineers at such companies as PayPal, eBay, ESPN, General Motors and Neiman Marcus.
- Cloud specialists, which are up 67% from last summer. Dice.com lists 3,794 positions that require cloud-related software, engineering and architecture skills including openings at Best Buy, Hitachi Data Systems, Ingram Micro, Sybase and Bloomberg.
- Android developers and software engineers, which are up 50% year-over-year. More than 2,100 Android-related jobs are listed on Dice.com's Web site, including positions at Blackboard, Trimble Navigation, Comcast, Tribune Co. and Bell Systems.
- Mobile developers, which is up 40% from last July. The more than 1,500 jobs listed on Dice.com that feature the word "mobile" include postings from Union Bank, Scotts MiracleGro, IDC Technologies, Nickelodeon Games Group and Teradata.
- Ruby on Rails developers, which are up 30% year-over-year. With more than 2,280 positions listed on Dice.com, this set of skills is in demand from such employers as Wellcare Health Plans, Harvey Nash, Compucom, Dell and Barnes & Noble.
Overall, Dice.com lists more than 84,000 jobs on any given day - a figure that's up just 3% from last summer.
"Mobile and cloud are the big categories right now," said Alice Hill, managing director of Dice.com. "Companies are looking to hire Android and IOS developers and the same thing with cloud. You also see jobs if you look at virtualization and roles around data architecture and software related to the cloud."
Also growing - but not as quickly - is the demand for network engineers and skills related to IPv6, the next-generation Internet Protocol. More than 1,900 network engineer jobs are posted on Dice.com, up 11% from last year. While only 199 jobs require IPv6-related experience, this category is up 19% from a year ago.
Read more about infrastructure management in Network World's Infrastructure Management section.
Join the CIO Australia group on LinkedIn. The group is open to CIOs, IT Directors, COOs, CTOs and senior IT managers.
Why change management doesn’t work
Larry Page wants to see your medical records
Dual-Persona Smartphones Not a BYOD Panacea
After two-year hiatus, EFF accepts bitcoin donations again
CIOs struggle to deliver timely mobile business apps: survey
How Web Security Improves Productivity and Compliance
In this white paper, we will look at how secure web gateways, one type of information security technology, can provide benefits to many departments within any business or government agency. Download now.
Implementing A Security Analytics Architecture
According to the 2012 Verizon Data Breach Investigations report, 99% of breaches led to data compromise within “days” or less, whereas 85% of breaches took “weeks” or more to discover. This presents a significant challenge to security teams as it grants attackers extended periods of time within a victim’s environment. More “free time” leads to more stolen data and more digital damage. Principally, this is because today’s security measures aren’t designed to counter today’s more advanced threats. Read on.
Android Malware Exposed
Take an in-depth look at the evolution of android malware. The world of malware targeting the Android OS is similar yet very different from malware affecting Windows. Explore the rapidly evolving world of android malware and shed light on the various techniques used to exploit devices using this OS.